At some point in our lives, most of us ask the question, “Why am I here?” While God has the ultimate purpose for you to be in a relationship with him, how can you discover your purpose in life while here on earth?
Have you ever asked that question? The question itself comes from something inside of you, meaning, you didn’t just arbitrary start thinking, “Why am I here? What’s my purpose?”
3 places from it comes from…
- Your human desire to be with or at least know your creator.
- Your natural, human curiosity.
- Your feeling of being stuck or unfulfilled in your life.
Here’s how to get an idea of what your purpose might be. Ask three key questions:
- What are you passionate about? If you were to wake up tomorrow and it were retirement, what would you find yourself doing?
- What are you good at? Take some time, maybe write it down. “I’m good at painting. I’m good at teaching difficult ideas to other people. If you’re struggling, ask yourself, “what have others said I’m good at?”
- How can these two help other people. This is where you will find real fulfillment and joy. Adding value to others is a secret sauce to a happy and productive life. A secondary part to this as it applies to your work, job or career is how can I help others in a manner that they will pay me for it. That’s not self seeking. It is simply a value trade. You add value and as a result someone rewards you for the value you add.
Obviously, this is only a simple framework for a life long question. You should go back to this question over and over to keep clarifying what you’re passionate about, what you find and others would say you’re good at, and how you can use your passion and skills to add value to others in a manner that might result in being paid for that value.