You’re not in high school anymore, but being a popular person — at work, home and with friends — can significantly change your life and more importantly, the lives of those around you. Today, I talk about being a sunrise person over and above being a sunset person.
Podcast Show Notes:
If you’ve listened to the podcast, you know that my personal mission statement is:
TODD’S PERSONAL MISSION is to honor God by adding value and leadership to the lives of people around me. Through creative communication and innovative resourcing, I will help facilitate positive life change in my personal relationships and throughout the world.”
My goal in every conversation in every interaction with people is that I add value to their lives, even difficult conversations, I want to be the guy whom with you can disagree, but still say, “I like that guy” That’s how I define popular. Not the high school way in that your the prettiest or best or you have a bunch of fake friends. Rather, being genuine. You may not like my ideas but we still have a relationship together.
So my son and I had a conversation about a book by John Hunt in which he describes two types of people and I think it is the secret to people being drawn to you.
- A Sunset Person, takes an idea and sucks the life out of it with negativity.
- A Sunrise Person, takes and idea and adds life to it, making it better.
You want to be a sunrise person.
Here’s how to develop at being a sunrise person:
- Determine which one are you. Listen to how you talk. Do you find 10 wrongs things with every 1 right one. “He can find the cloud behind every silver lining.”
- Every morning, make a choice to be a sunrise person. You know many of the personal development folks — Christian and not — say that if you speak something out loud, your subconscious mind takes it in, whether negatively or positively, and it begins to change your physiology, your emotions and your attitude.
- Snap out of your sunset! This is one I’ve never done but in his book ‘Cash in a Flash’, Mark Victor Hansen suggests that each time you find your self as a sunset person, wear a rubber band and snap it.
- Guard what you think about. lots of horrible things in the world right now. what are good things for which you can be grateful? episode 020 talked about the power of thanksgiving. Even the bible says, Philippians 4:8:
“And now, dear brothers and sisters, one final thing. Fix your thoughts on what is true, and honorable, and right, and pure, and lovely, and admirable. Think about things that are excellent and worthy of praise.”
I’m convinced that choosing this attitude — to be a sunrise person — will benefit you and other in so many ways! People will want to do business with you over and over again. people will want you input and you will add good value into a world filled with sunset people.