2017 is around the corner. Have you written down your new year’s goals yet? What if there was a better way to set goals based on who you are and not what you do? In this episode, learn the foundational structure of human needs from which your goals should flow.
On This Episode:
“Setting goals is the first step in turning invisible into the visible.” – Tony Robbins
Over the years, I’ve done many goal setting systems. The problem is that most focus only on what you want to DO.
What if 2017 was a year of focusing on who you want to BE not just DO?
According to psychologists, and other researchers, every person has 6 human needs. The first 4 are needs of your personality. The last 2 are considered needs of the spirit.
Needs of Personality:
- Certainty: Here you are striving to experience comfort and gain certainty in your life in order to minimize the stress of uncertainty.
- Uncertainty: Here you are striving for a little variety and uncertainty in your life in order to relieve boredom, predictability, and stagnation.
- Significance: Here you are striving to gain a sense of significance and importance in the eyes of others. Your objective is to create a sense of identity.
- Connection/Love: Here you are striving to make deep connections with people. You have a need to love and be loved by others. You also have a need to belong.
- Growth: Here you are striving to learn, experience and grow mentally, emotionally and spiritually in a variety of ways throughout your life.
- Contribution: Here you are striving to contribute to something greater than yourself. This is all about adding value to other people’s lives.
So in each of these areas, ask the following question and it will give you a deeper insight into real goals that you may need to make for 2017.
The key question to ask is:
“What would need to happen to make me feel more (insert one of the 6 needs) in (insert an area of your life that you want to make better).
For example, “What would need to happen to make me feel more certain in my relationship with my kids?”