Coaching is fast becoming one of the key ways the people in and out of the workplace find personal and corporate excellence.
Over the past year, I’ve been learning the skill of ‘coaching’ and have seen the power of helping people find answers to life and work questions so they can move forward in life in a positive way.
For more, go to http://www.ChristianLeadersCoaching.com
Today, I’m breaking down the three words that make up Christian Leaders Coaching.
Coaching – A good way to describe it is by what it is not. Remember that all of these are useful.
It is not …
• Counseling – takes a person from -10 to normalcy. Coaching picks up there and helps move people to +10 and beyond.
• Mentoring/Advising – you’re giving your opinion. bringing your personal experience to the table.
• Consulting – close to to the mentor but they are brought into companies to help raise money or build buildings for example.
• Discipling – Christian world. principles from the Scripture or from Christian living and teach people how to be a better christ follower by being a better husband or wife or how to know God deeper and love people better.
There are all awesome and needed in the world today. What’s the one thing all these roles have in common? Teaching. That’s good. But for lasting change in a person’s life teaching only goes so far. It is when a person comes up with their own course of action is when true life change happens.
So what is coaching? you think of a football coach… no, cause he’s calling the plays, coming up with strategies. the original definition of a coach was a vehicle that takes a person from one place to another.
So in the coaching relationship, I don’t make the decisions. I don’t advise or talk about what worked for me in the past (even though I have a lot of experience). I ask the questions that help you find that answers that are right for your circumstance.
“I’m not a leader. I work in the home. or I’m a student or I’m an accountant.”
I believe that everyone is a leader – starting with yourself. You lead yourself first, John Maxwell is famous for saying.
• Less of a label or demographic and more of the description of here my framework comes from.
• I am a Christian. I work mainly in Christian environments and I believe that following the teachings and principles of the Bible are the best way to relate in business, in life, and in the world
By the way, other non-Christian religions have similar principles as well. Love your neighbor as yourself is a wonder principle in most religions. Carrying for the under-served, the poor and the like…
So I’ll use teachings from the Jesus and principles from the bible as the undergirding and foundation of what I talk about.
My focus will be both helping you with life and leadership topics like I always have, but also helping you take a ‘coach approach’ to how you speak with people.
- Christian Leaders Coaching.com – connect for a free Strategy Session.
- Audible.com – 180K audio book, right at your fingers
- Anchored – Book Proposal Overview