ON THIS EPISODE:
Step 1: Pray. Seriously. God is waiting to pour direction and guidance over your entire plan.
• First pray for wisdom (James 1:5)
• Second pray for direction. (Each verse of Proverbs 16 has leadership lessons in it. I’m actually wanting to write a leadership book based on the 33 principles)
Step 2: Really take time and identify WHY you would want to venture out on your own. Process all the positives that sync up with your experience, family relationships and personal well-being. This will be your anchor when the winds of doubt, fear and opposition blow against your entrepreneurial passion. Don’t list any negatives in this step.
Step 3: Envision what your ideal situation would be. In other words, get a mental picture of your situation. The is the WHAT of your idea. Here are some statements that help:
• “When I am running the IT Security Business, I am … ”
• “When I complete a week, I will feel …”
• “I am adding value to people through my business by …”
Step 4: Create a realistic, transition timing plan. This is the HOW of the transition, not the new business. This step requires some tactical and strategic thinking, at which you’re already good.
Step 5: Figure out how much it takes monthly for your family expenses not family spending. It is this number that is, what I call the MATS level – Minimum Acceptable To Spouse.
Step 6: Do something people oriented within the sphere of the new venture. You could put on a free seminar or youtube series for businesses on the basics of IT Security for example. This would establish you as an expert in the industry.
- Audible.com – 180K audio book, right at your fingers
- Before You Quit Your Job – Helps give a template to work through before making the transition.
- 48days To The Work You Love – More towards finding another job but it also has some great tips and advice.
- No More Dreaded Mondays – Helps identify your passion for work opportunities.